Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Oops, I Did It Again...

Anyone who has read Mommy, In Demand more than a few times knows that I am an avid Pinterester (as any sense-able woman is). There is nothing I like better than trolling all the creative ideas of someone else, recreating them myself, and not telling people where I got the idea from. Although I'm sure by now they have figured it out. 

And on more than one occasion I've been asked how I became so addicted; which has got me thinking and that's not usually a good thing. Because, by doing so I realized that it seems like every time I sign up for a new social media site I end up getting completely sucked into it.

So much so, I sometimes forget that I even have a real life.

*Que image of Mom looking at the computer with a blank stare and children making the house look like a war zone*

And since the purchase of my beloved iPhone, these obsessions have taken on a whole new form. Especially my addiction of Pinterest. 

To show you what I mean, let's look back at my history of social media:

First, we had MySpace. The titan that started it all. I remember first getting a MySpace profile my freshman year of college. It was the classic "everyone was doing it so I had to also". And the result? I don't think I left that computer lab for a week! I was so hooked on stalking everyone I ever knew...I mean, reuniting with old friends.

Next came Facebook, which still has me checking in at least twice a day (usually more) and religiously posting pictures of my kids. (Including ones they will kill me for upon reaching adulthood). But none of that touches on the excitement of facebook messenger, which I've learned is better than text message and has the cutest new stickers!!! Have no clue what I'm talking about? Go ahead and try it out. I dare you.

Which was, of course, closely followed by twitter. Which somehow has become my link to celebrity gossip, news, blogging, and all things "Me" related. I've even gotten a few tweets back from some people who'd never have noticed me otherwise. And just yesterday my tweet was favorited by a big name celeb (fan girl squeal!), But I'm not into name dropping...

And now, to top it all off, we have Pinterest.

Oh, Pinterest, How I loathe thee and love thee all at the same time.
Picture
I'm no longer a new member to pinterest but I can remember when I was. I was never really interested in what it was all about. I mean hello, I was a little busy chasing my 1 year old around for the perfect update picture and rubbing elbows (or keyboards) with celebrities; even if it was only in my mind.

(I should point out here that I felt the same way about Facebook and Twitter when they first blew up and we all see where that left me).

But despite all that (and a little voice in my head telling me not to because the house needed cleaning) I decided to see what all the fuss was about and made myself a profile.

Biggest. Mistake. Ever.
I don't know any substance in the world that can compare to the high you get when you log into pinterest. And being able to look down at your phone when bored at the doctors office to pin until your name is finally called?

It's all over at that point.

I wasn't even on it for an entire hour before I was hooked. I became a literal, pining psycho.
Picture
That was a year and a half ago and nothing has changed. I still get that high. I still go to confirm/search for every idea that pops into my head.

If you haven't had the privilege of discovering the thrill of pinterest, let me place all judgements aside and introduce you: http://pinterest.com/

HEY COME BACK, I'M NOT DONE YET!!!!!!!

See what I mean?

Addicting.
Picture

I've gotten some amazing new ideas for just about everything in my life. From new outfit ideas (yes, my current wardrobe choices are now all from pinterest. Don't judge, it'll happen to you), to birthday decor. Even meaningless fun stuff that is so truly and completely ingenious that you'll slap your own forehead wondering why you've never thought of it. 

I mean really, who thought to use the top of a soda bottle for a chocolate-chip bag seal?! This person needs an medal!

It's come to the point that, after all this time, if you can't find me at work and I'm not answering my cell then I'm probably on pinterest.
Which leads me to the conclusion that they need to create an "IM" section so people can get a hold of you while you are successfully wasting your time on their site.

I wonder who I would have to talk to about that...

Don't be afraid to come check me out on Pinterest!
http://www.pinterest.com/indemandblog/boards/

2 comments:

  1. I'm not as bad about pinterest as I used to be but I remember feeling a little mad when it was opened up to the public. I felt the same about facebook. I was like, "it's mine!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! We are pretty Pinterest obsessed ourselves! There is just so much good stuff all the time! ;)-Ashley

    ReplyDelete

Hey guys! Don't forget to leave me a comment! Love hearing from you!