Monday, December 23, 2013

The Perfect Letter To Santa

To a child, Christmas means toys. A LOT of them. And the biggest concern for them is whether they will get the ones that they spent all season writing to Santa for or not. And try as you might as a parent to teach them the true meaning of things, they will never fully understand what you are talking about until they're 20 (Unless you're one of those lucky parents who have perfect and selfless children).

My oldest boy is no different.

Don't get me wrong; he knows why we donate to those less fortunate, that spending time with the family is the "best gift", and the true reason to the season; and he does get excited about all of those things, but the second that tree goes up there is no stopping the flow of what he'll be asking Santa for.

So when Felix (our Elf on the Shelf) left him paper to write a letter to Santa this year, I expected to see a list of 20 or more toys that would make me laugh because there's no way in Hades that he'd get most of them.

What I didn't expect to see was this:


Yep, you're reading that right. It's a letter asking Santa for what every member of our family wanted this holiday season. From the material objects that appeal to his brother, his father, and himself to the want of his mother to have her whole family together for Christmas (which hasn't happened in over 5 years).

Remember what I said about him being all about toys and not taking anything I say to heart? I take it all back. What kid thinks to ask Santa for a gift for everyone in his family when there's stores FULL of things he's spent the year thinking of?!

Apparently, mine does (spelling mistakes and all). And with enough care that it brought me to tears upon reading it. 

It's times like these that tell me I'm not doing such a bad job as a mom. I may lose it completely and become a certifiable nut case from time to time, but I must be doing something right. And, who knows, maybe next year he'll ask for world peace (which will most likely leave me a blubbering idiot. After all, he's only 6).

Have your kids done anything this holiday season that has (or almost has) brought you to tears? Anything that's made you feel like you're doing your job right after all? Have they asked for something completely unexpected (good or bad) from Santa this year?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey guys! Don't forget to leave me a comment! Love hearing from you!